ARCUS Research 2024 Summer
Presentation(exhibition, performance, and open studio)Not available
Grants and subsidies for travel expensesNot available
Grants and other financial supports/ Support by coordinators and art professionalsAvailable
Art genresVisual arts/ Fine arts , Performing arts , Craft / Applied arts , Film / Video , Others
|Application period||Oct. 6, 2023 (Fri.) - Dec. 1, 2023 (Fri.)|
|Description||ARCUS Research is a short-term and self-funded program that offers an uninterrupted time and contemplative environment for creative experimentation, in-depth fieldwork, and research for practitioners and professionals in art and other cultural fields, including artists, curators, researchers, university educators, or writers. The program is scheduled twice a year, in the summer of 2024 and the winter of 2025.
|Residency location||ARCUS Studio 2418 Itatoi, Moriya, Ibaraki, JAPAN|
|Residency period||One-month residency: 1 to 3 participants for each period
• Friday, June 7‒Saturday, July 6, 2024
• Wednesday, July 10‒ Thursday, August 8, 2024
Two-month residency: 1 to 3 participants
• Friday, June 7‒Thursday, August 8, 2024
|Qualification||The applicant must:
• be a practitioner or other professional in a cultural and art-related field, including an
artist, curator, researcher, or writer.
• not be enrolled at an educational institution during the program period unless a PhD program.
• have English-language ability proficient enough to communicate with staff.
|Pay by artists / Support for artists||PROGRAM FEE
One-month residency: JPY270,000
Two-month residency: JPY500,000 (tax included)
The fee includes studio space, accommodation, and basic consultation and orientation at the beginning of the residency program. As an option activity, participants are invited to the “Show & Tell” salon to present their work and share projects with the local community at the end of the residency.
Studio size: 67.5 m2 (9 m [W] × 7.5 m [D] × 3.3 m [H])
A spacious and light-filled space facing southwest, the studio was formerly a classroom of a public school (Oisawa Elementary School, 1890‒1994). The studio has an internet connection and basic studio furniture, such as a desk and chairs.
Apartment size: 23.7 m2 unless otherwise noted.
Each participant is provided with a furnished studio-style apartment that includes basic electric appliances. A partner or family is allowed to accompany him/her. Please note that the accommodation is only for single occupants; an additional fee is charged for further occupants.
The participants are required to cover transportation, meals, insurance (accident, health, liability, etc.), work expenses, and other living expenses during their stay.
This is a self-funded residency program. If participants apply for grants from institutions, government agencies, universities in their country/province of origin, ARCUS Project will provide the acceptance letter for grant application once you are selected for the program.
|Selection process||The following materials should be compiled in one PDF (A4 size) in a folder named “Last name_First name” (e.g., Smith_David) and compressed into a Zip file. The PDF file must not exceed 6 MB. Email the file to email@example.com with “2024 ARCUS Research Application” in the subject line. Deadline: December 1st, 2023.
• Application form: Please download from the link and complete.
Two references: please include their name, title, institution, and email. Short-listed candidates may be asked to provide letters from their references.
• Curriculum vitae: max. 3 pages.
• A project proposal (max. 800 words) that describes the intended focus of your
residency. Proposals may include specific projects to develop or complete (e.g., a publication, book, artwork, etc.) or to research a particular topic, in advance of writing or creating a work of art.
• Work samples: These should include 5 works with a caption (title, date, medium, and dimensions/duration for each work) and a brief description (50 words) of each work. If you wish to include video works with your application, please upload the files to a video hosting website such as YouTube or Vimeo, and then include the link(s) in your application.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS
• The screening process will be conducted by the ARCUS Project Selection Committee.
• Applicants may be required to provide additional application materials and a video
• Applicants will be notified via email of the result of their application by the end of
• Please be aware that we cannot respond to individual inquiries concerning the
|Contact||For inquiries, please use the contact form on the ARCUS Project website:http://www.arcus-project.com/en/contact/|