MATSUDO “QOL” AWARD 2021
Presentation(exhibition, performance, and open studio)Available
Grants and subsidies for travel expensesNot available
Grants and other financial supports/ Support by coordinators and art professionalsAvailable
Art genresVisual arts/ Fine arts , Performing arts , Craft / Applied arts , Film / Video , Others
|Application period||Jun. 1, 2021 (Tue.) - Jan. 29, 2022 (Sat.)|
|Description||PARADISE AIR, an artist-in-residence in Matsudo, Chiba Prefecture, is pleased to announce MATSUDO “QOL” AWARD, an open call to support artists who live within 100 minutes of Matsudo Station.
MATSUDO “QOL” AWARD was launched in search of a way to support artists when the Covid-19 pandemic started. QOL means “Quality of Life,” but here, we also aim to provide a safe place for artists while maintaining the state of “Quarantine of Laureate.”
This year, given that the situation is not improving, we will continue the program and aim to support a wider variety of artists and creative activities by expanding the target areas and making the residency schedule more flexible.
The chosen artist(s) will be provided funding (per diem per stay) which can be used for living expenses during the program, and creative retreats at PARADISE AIR.
Living away from home, taking a walk in the city, creating or writing something, planning a new piece of work——the way to use the three weeks is up to each artist. We hope that the three weeks of the artist’s life spent at PARADISE AIR, in Matsudo, during the coronavirus pandemic, will be an experience that will lead the artist a little further into the future.
PARADISE AIR has stopped accepting overseas artists since spring 2020, and it has been difficult to facilitate direct interaction between artists and the local people. Under such circumstances, we have spent the year seeking ways to continue to be a place for artists while undergoing various changes, and have been questioning the meaning of our own existence. Through the new encounters and dialogues that this open call will bring, PARADISE AIR would like to think about the near future we want to create.
Program Period: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 – Tuesday, March 29, 2022
|Residency location||PARADISE AIR|
|Residency period||3 weeks
*22 days in total; from a Tuesday that the artist prefers (check-in date) to the Tuesday three weeks later (check-out date).
|Qualification||Artists from all fields of art are welcome to apply.
Artists of Japanese and foreign nationality who meet the following application requirements.
- Physically and mentally healthy.
- An individual aged 18 or over and currently active in the field of art.
- Living within 100 minutes of Matsudo station. (You will be informing us the shortest transit time from your nearest station to Matsudo in the application form.)
- Must be able to refrain from going home temporarily during residency unless it is unavoidable.
- Have the flexibility to respond to what PARADISE AIR asks you to do, such as checking and reporting one’s body temperature every day and communicating online with staff.
- Have the flexibility to agree and follow proposals, rules, change of schedules made by staff regarding the changing situation.
- Must be able to prepare and bring all equipment, art mediums, and supply one intends to use during their residency.
- Be sure to responsibly go through the entire process from applying to ending residency.
- Be able to communicate in Japanese and/or English.
- Be willing to cherish and enjoy the connection with PARADISE AIR and Matsudo even after the program.
|Pay by artists / Support for artists||What PARADISE AIR can offer you
- A room at PARADISE AIR. (Free heat, light, water, and internet.)
- Per diem of 3,000 JPY per stay, per person. (3,000*22days)
- Coordination of creation.
- Coordination of presentation of your work during/after your stay.
- An opportunity to “meet” with previous PARADISE AIR resident artists (from Japan/overseas) online.
- Online PR assistance.
Activities that can be done after consultation with PARADISE AIR
- Field research (visits to public facilities, interviews with local residents, etc.) conducted under strict infection control measures.
- Invite others to real-world spaces to present your work.
|Selection process||Please check the box that says “apply for MATSUDO ‘QOL’ AWARD” on the SHORTSTAY Program application form when you apply.
We accept applications on an ongoing basis. Please submit your application at least two months prior to the date you wish to stay. We will notify you of the results of your selection at least one month before your stay, after coordinating with other programs, checking room availability, and screening by our staff.
SHORTSTAY Program Application Form