INTERNATIONAL OPEN CALL AIR Program 2022-2023_The roads stretch on the snow
Presentation(exhibition, performance, and open studio)Available
Grants and subsidies for travel expensesAvailable
Grants and other financial supports/ Support by coordinators and art professionalsAvailable
Art genresVisual arts/ Fine arts , Others
|Application period||Jun. 1, 2022 (Wed.) - Aug. 8, 2022 (Mon.)|
|Description||The roads stretch on the snow.
Sapporo is a snowy city. When it snows, boundary lines that had been previously visible, disappear. After the snow, the sidewalk I walk on is covered in white, and mysterious lines appear that may be a shortcut made by someone or a detour taken while searching for something. The paths on the snow seem randomly drawn but they actually hold an anonymous logic like that of a rambling curiosity – as if artists left the signs of their research in a certain place.
During the Covid-19 pandemic, we realized the power of natural, social, and historical boundaries as well as national and regional borders drawn by governments. In particular, social boundaries arose that led people to have less dealings with strangers. 2022 is the third year since the outbreak of the pandemic and I would like to blur the divisions and divides that inevitably happened to all of us, using artists’ overwhelming power of curiosity – like snow that falls and obliterates all boundaries.
Artistic research, local communities and the creative activities of artists moving to a certain place for a certain period of time shall leave these footprints. Even if we fail again this year, the snow will still return when winter comes again.
|Residency location||さっぽろ天神山アートスタジオ / Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio|
|Residency period||Oct 12, 2022 - Nov 30, 2022|
1) Being a collective/group that includes both of the following
Artists who have nationalities other than Japanese and live outside Japan
Artists with Japanese nationality
* Up to 3 people can stay at SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO during the same period.
* It is possible to create a temporary collective/group for this open call.
2) Be able to communicate in either English or Japanese with staff, fellow artists and the local community.
3) Be able to concentrate on their research and the program activities for the full period of 50 days.
4) Be able to plan an exhibition for a month after the AIR period.
5) Be able to understand and follow the aim of the International open call AIR program and proceed with their autonomous activities during their stay.
6) Be able to record their own activities during their stay.
7) There are no restrictions on age or gender. When applicants are students, postgraduate level is required.
|Pay by artists / Support for artists||1) Letter of invitation from Sapporo city
2) Traveling assistance for artists who have nationalities other than Japanese and live outside Japan
3) Up to 250,000 yen budget for travel from oversea (only for artists who have nationalities other than Japanese and live outside Japan) per collective/group
4) Up to 100,000 yen budget for travel from Japan(only for artists with Japanese nationality) per collective/group
5) 500,000 yen budget for living expenses during the program period per collective/group
6) 200,000 budget for production and research activities (various expenses such as materials and transportation) per collective/group
7) Budget to hold the exhibition * It isn’t provided directly to the collective/group, but will be managed by the organizers.
8) Interactive coaching from the selection committee
9) Coordinating work including interpretation and translation during the program period
10) Technical assistant for realizing the exhibition
|Selection process||SAPPORO TENJINYAMA ART STUDIO Open Call Selection Committee selects the art collectives/groups based on the application forms and the portfolios received. During the selection process, interviews may be conducted online.
All applicants will be notified of the decision by August 31, 2022 (Wednesday) before 23:59 Japan standard time.
|Contact||Sapporo Tenjinyama Art Studio
1-80, Hiragishi 2-jo 17-chome, Toyohira-ku
Sapporo, Hokkaido 0620932 JAPAN
TEL +81 (0)11-820-2140