SPACE DEPARTMENT Artist In Residence Program
Presentation(exhibition, performance, and open studio)Available
Grants and subsidies for travel expensesNot available
Grants and other financial supports/ Support by coordinators and art professionalsAvailable
Art genresVisual arts/ Fine arts , Performing arts , Craft / Applied arts , Film / Video , Others
|Application period||Regular call|
|Description||SPACE DEPARTMENT is an artist-in-residence facility located in the World Heritage city of Nara. We are a creative space that supports and promotes the creative activities of artists from Japan and abroad, creating and sharing ideas and connecting each other.
Our space is located in a renovated 90-year-old farmhouse near the world heritage sites of Toshodaiji and Yakushiji in Nara. Our space hosts various workshops, events, and exhibitions, including artist-in-residence programs
|Residency location||SPACE DEPARTMENT|
|Residency period||- Minimum one month up to three-month stay during the period of April 01 (Mon), 2024 to March 31(Mon), 2025.
- Residency must start at the beginning of each month and end on the last day of the month.
|Qualification||- Emerging artists, architects, designers, or researchers, and students based on spatial design, architecture, and built environment who have a clear motivation to work and research in Nara.
-Those who are able to hold at least one workshop, event, lecture, exhibition, research presentation, etc. during the residency period (we will provide space and support for these events to the extent possible).
-Those who are able to interact with other artists and local residents in the neighborhood with good relations.
- communicate in English or Japanese
|Pay by artists / Support for artists||Expenses
-The cost of living, activities, and accommodation during the stay is to be borne by the applicant.
-Individuals or groups (up to 4 people) are welcome.
-A deposit of USD50,000 (equivalent in Japanese Yen) is required in advance. If the property is damaged or needs to be cleaned, it will be deducted from this amount, but if not, it will be refunded when you move out.
-A simple contract will be signed at the time of moving in.
-Residence fee USD100,000 per month per person (equivalent in Japanese Yen)
-For group or team:
USD150,000 per month for 2 persons
USD200,000 per month for 3 persons
USD250,000 / 1 month / 4 persons
（Residence fee includes)
Participants must inform beforehand if they bring their assistants or family. Additional costs for stay will be charged at a daily rate.
- Tatami space on the 2nd floor can be used as private space.
- Use of shared spaces (1st floor space, gallery, kitchen, bath, studio tools)
*The first floor is a common space and used for used for other events and workshops during your stay.
- We encourage applicants to apply for sponsorship /scholarship from a private or public entity. We will try and provide any letters necessary for your application.
- We will provide assistance and creative support for research, places, and contacts for study or interview.
Participants have to arrange their own delivery of materials required for the production of works or research.
- For Any students who would like to participate but are not sure of what to research, we can assist with topics to research.
- Free loan of folding bicycles
※ Participants are responsible for any unexpected accidents or sicknesses. Subscribing in travel insurance is strongly recommended.
|Selection process||Please send us an email in Japanese or English with the subject heading ‘Architect-in-Residency program 2024’
Include briefly in your letter :
- Brief introduction
- Why you are interested in the program.
- What you would like to research about Japan
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)/Portfolio (collection of works)